Wednesday, June 30, 2010

NTFS-3G for Mac OS X 2010.5.22

What's new since NTFS-3G for Mac OS X 2010.1.16:
  • All in the NTFS-3G release notes.

  • Fix: NTFS-3G could hijack non-NTFS volumes in extremely rare cases, leaving them unmountable until NTFS-3G was disabled.

  • Preference pane bugfix: The NTFS-3G preference pane will no longer leave zombie processes behind.

The development of NTFS-3G for Mac OS X is funded by Tuxera Ltd.

Many of you have probably noticed that we now have a commercially supported counterpart to NTFS-3G, Tuxera NTFS for Mac.
Tuxera NTFS for Mac builds on the reliable NTFS-3G code base, but has several premium enhancements. The most important one is the new high performance caching layer which makes Tuxera NTFS at least twice as fast as cached NTFS-3G, but in many cases boosts performance even more (see: performance comparison).
The Tuxera NTFS for Mac caching layer also eliminates the need to choose between safety (in the event of a power outage or system crash) and performance, which is a choice you'll have to make in NTFS-3G.
Read more...

Download:System requirements:
  • Mac OS X 10.4/10.5/10.6 (10.6 requires that you do not use the 64-bit kernel), running on an Intel or PowerPC computer.
The package has been tested with Mac OS X 10.4.11/PowerPC/Intel, Mac OS X 10.5.8/PowerPC and Mac OS X 10.6.3/Intel/64-bit Intel.
NTFS-3G includes and depends on MacFUSE.

Information on how to install and use NTFS-3G for Mac OS X can be found in the User Guide.
If you are having problems with NTFS-3G, then please write a forum post explaining your problems in the Tuxera Forums (or post the question as a blog comment if you're just unsure of how things work).

Known issues:
  • After installing ntfs-3g, all NTFS drives will disappear from the "Startup Disk" preference pane. Disabling or uninstalling ntfs-3g brings them back. It seems that this issue can't be solved, but only worked around since the Startup Disk preference pane doesn't recognize file system drivers that are not provided by Apple.
    Possible workarounds:
    • Holding down the Option key during boot (or Alt for non-Apple keyboards).

    • Intel users only: Install the rEFIt boot manager for better control of the boot process.

    • Using the command line utility bless (see man bless for more information)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Hej,

I'm using the open source mac ntfs-3g build and I have an issue with the software.

I would like to share certain folders on my NTFS formatted partition using the Share functionality of Mac Os X. But when I try to open the share from other PC's (windows) I cannot access the folders inside the share.

Windows complains about permissions, but I cannot change these because Finder says I have custom access and does not allow me to change permissions on these folders.

Do you have a work around?

Thanks in advance

Erik said...

Joeri:

You can force a custom set of permissions onto your NTFS volume, if you think that it would help. You'll have to add the volume to the configuration file /etc/fstab and specify mount option such as uid, gid, dmask, fmask or umask. See the ntfs-3g manual for more info about the options that you can pass to NTFS-3G, and the fstab manpage for information on how to create a fstab entry.

By the way, this problem is present in earlier versions of NTFS-3G for Mac OS X as well, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm not very good with techie stuff. Just wanted to ask if NTFS-3G is the same as NTFS? Like will hardware that normally recognize NTFS disks automatically recognize NTFS-3G as well? Thanks.

Erik said...

Anonymous, July 7, 2010 1:22 AM:

Hi,

NTFS-3G is the name of the software, while NTFS is the name of the volume format.
It's the same NTFS format that is used by NTFS-3G and Windows' NTFS driver.

I hope that's clear enough. :)

Anonymous said...

Found a bug...

If you copy a folder with JPGs from MAC to NTFS USB Drive, the JPGs do not have "date modified" when viewed under Windows Explorer.

However, copying JPGs to USB NTFS drive is OK.

The problem occurs when copying MAC folder.

Erik said...

Anonymous, July 25, 2010 9:34 AM:

Actually, this is how Windows Explorer behaves when it finds a folder filled with .jpg files. Try copying a folder of .mp3 files to the drive and you'll see a different set of columns (also no 'date modified').

So this is no bug. It would be the same if you copied the files from another Windows computer.

Jenny said...

Thanks a lot for this ready-to-use version. I think you do it on your free time? (and again, thanks a lot that you take time for it) Will you also do a .dmg with the new version released two weeks ago?

Erik said...

Jenny, August 21, 2010 12:57 AM:

I used to do it on my free time, but nowadays I consider it a part of my work at Tuxera.
So you could say that Tuxera sponsors development of NTFS-3G (this is mostly helped by the sales of "Tuxera NTFS for Mac"), and much of the development benefits both drivers equally.

Raymond said...

Do you have some spare time to update NTFS-3G for Mac OS X to ntfs-3g-2010.8.8?

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks again for your work. It's really great to be able to transfer files via usb from my mac at home to the pc where I work. This last release is much better than the previous one, but if you have time please make a easy dmg of the new version like the other user asked. Thanks again for your hard job.

Erik said...

Raymond / Anonymous:

Here's the latest build of the newest version:
- NTFS-3G for Mac OS X 2010.8.8
- Source code

I haven't finished testing it, but if it seems ok I will make it the official release. Please give me your feedback.

Beth said...

Hi,

I have a question about the system requirements --

"Mac OS X 10.4/10.5/10.6 (10.6 requires that you do not use the 64-bit kernel), running on an Intel or PowerPC computer."

I have Mac OS 10.6.8 and it is also 64-bit kernel. Does that mean NTFS-3G won't work on my computer?

Thanks.

Erik said...

Beth, September 4, 2011 3:39 AM:

That is correct, however installing OSXFUSE will probably help in this case. Make sure that you select the MacFUSE compatibility layer when installing.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Today I upgraded my Mac to Mountain Lion, my hdd had Bootcamp with windows 7.

Ever since the upgrade from Mac osx lion to mac osx mountain lion, bootcamp seems undetectable, yet I think it's still on my hdd, undammaged.

What can I do to recover this? Tuxera ntfs was installed on my mac (mac osx) when I upgraded...

Nikhil said...

If I install this on my Macbook. Is there any possibility that it will harm my MacBook hard drive file System.

I need NTFS-3G so that my Macbook have read and write capability of my external USB 2TB hard drive which is NTFS file system.

Hope using this I can have full access my external hard drive on Mac and Windows Laptop